How Microsoft sends out Windows 10 to the masses is still a mystery. Or is it?
Hey guys, I am happy & amazed to see that I have reached a milestone of 100 posts in this blog of mine 🙂 Feeling crazy! So I thought let this post be quite informative. These are the podcast I listen too and you should too!
Podcast List at random:
Getting Cortana in India
So all around the Internet (or at least in the Windows Phone world) people are saying,
If you want Cortana outside of US, change your region to US.
This video suggest the same, and it also has a background audio which was used in the commercials for the Apple iPhone, how ironic.
I had other ideas, I thought of something else that works for now. I had an idea that Cortana might work if you keep your region unchanged as India and you just change all the language settings into US, at least the Bing services works that way now.
But nope, you have to set everything to US to use Cortana. No other way, no other workaround. But we din’t stop there, I tested what I endorse as an alternative idea, but found that it didn’t work that way. They are right, you only can get Cortana if you fully choose US in everything. No playing cheaters with Microsoft 😦
Sorry if that video kind of turned out to be bad, filmed with a phone while i was trying out things, no script.
And here is a list of things that are coming with the Windows Phone 8.1, for you. You may or may not have seen this already, if you have seen some points already, fine. If something is new to you, viola! A new leak 🙂
- Show your caller id to all/no one/contacts
- You can use apps for video calling (sadly no operator video calls via front cam)
- Speed Dial (swipe left when in the call history)
- The frequently used emoji’s is now represented with a heart symbol
- Data Sense savings in IE – Off/Standard/High/Automatic
- Reading View (with custom font sizes and background colors)
- Ability to ask or even automatically remember passwords
- Session from PC IE comes under the other pane, when you press tabs in WP IE
- iCloud support, rejoice Apple users
- You can view your download history now right from the phone without having to go into the windowsphone.ccom’s purchase history
- App updates can be done automatically, with an option to only use WiFi for the task
- Manually check for app updates within the Store app
- Music app has a new headset flash screen
- Features music, just like featured apps
- New calender views, with the ability to show weather based on location
- Battery saver, Music, Videos, storage Sense and FM Radio now shows up in the app list, but cannot be uninstalled
- New Camera UI/View Finder
- Select upto 5 shortcuts to see in the viewfinder
- Delete burst mode captures after specified periods of time
- You can turn on or off, tap to capture a photo
- Podcasts app, again you cannot uninstall it
- App Deals can be presented via toasts by the Wallet app
- Batch uninstall apps / batch move them to SD
- Show More titles in the start screen, background image for the start screen tiles
- Action Center, with custom notifications, even if the phone is locked
- Auto reconnect WiFi along with WiFi sense
- Under SIM settings, you can select from Global/LTE/GSM/UMTS/CDMA depending upon your hardware and carrier
- Workplace accounts to use your personal phone as your BYOD work phone
- Battery Saver shows the battery usage statics on per app basis
- Connect to a projector via USB
- Quite Hours, which only works if you have Cortana enabled
- Advertising ID for Microsoft Targeted advertising
- You can now hide the location indicator icon
- GeoFence Monitor
- USB data connection, and the ability to notify if your charger/charging source sucks
- Swipe keyboard, auto emotion suggestion with options to disable them
- Narrator mode to read aloud, with an option to quickly toggle it on/off via “Vol Up + Start”
- Zoom on web contents, even if the web page doesn’t want you doing so
- Custom fonts & colors in the browser (Style, Effects, Color, Transparency – in Background/Window/Font)
- Navigation bar color customization if your hardware doesn’t have a physical capacitative front keys
- And Off Course, Cortana
- Improved Maps integration in the OS level
- You can choose from which time frame you can retrieve messages, previously all of your messaging history will be restored flooding your phone, unless you have deleted them via Outlook in web
- You can now hide the porn images you have saved in your phone from appearing in your start screen, can shuffle images or can make the OS display images in the start screen tile in a row
- Camera inbuilt is renamed into Microsoft Camera
- Revamped Store.
This post originally appeared in NokiaTips, written by the same author i.e, Le Me 🙂
To activate voicemail in Airtel dial *321*671#
Confirm the activation in the follow up request by sending 1
Dial 52555 and press 9
Now dial 1 followed by 7 to record your message
Confirm it by saving, you’ll be asked to do it.
Press 5 to hear the current recording, 7 to record a new message, and 9 to go back to main menu of voicemail
Now after setting the message for your voicemail and coming back to the main menu by pressing 9 in the previous stage, you can now press 2 to change your language, 3 to change your mailbox name (which is for your private use, voicemail box name won’t be available to the caller) and 4 to set a password to access the voicemail (in order to prevent others from using the voicemail who have access to your phone. Say for instance your friends)
And you have successfully set voicemail for your Airtel, from now onwards if you’re unreachable or if you do not answer a call, your caller will be directed to the voicemail.
To hear the voicemail’s you have received, dial 52555 and enter the 4 digit numerical password you have previously set.
Voicemail is a free service unless you are in roaming, which in case you are, dial +919840011999 instead of 52555.
Guess this is the first online resource regarding this issue, if you’re gonna copy the info above please do source this original article back 😊
Posted from WordPress for Windows Phone
Google Now is a great thing for searching, i am not stating the part that allowing Google to spy on your life and to search tailor made, ads tailor made. I am just saying the ability to say something like Okay Jarvis, and to say the search phrase. I hope this comes with Cortana. There is one thing that bugs me like hell.
Windows Phone 8 tracks your location every 30 minutes. But why? why oh why you have to randomly track me and waste my battery too in the process when i have no use from it. Even if we say that is used to swiftly provide apps with your last recent location, which doesn’t make sense anyway, because i can be somewhere else inbetween two 30 minute location reading and when an app requires location data, my current location at that time alone is used and the 30 minute once taken reading is of no use, like NO USE AT ALL.
Meanwhile take Google Now’s inbuilt Pedometer it tracks location similar to what Windows Phone does, but it gives us a report where we can see where we have been lately. Its quite useful afterall. All i want is a similar service from Microsoft otherwise do not check for location every 30 minute and waste my battery.
The above image is a Google Now Pedometer card, it makes use of the location data it periodically collects! But Windows Phone doesn’t do that, then what is the use of it? Helping NSA to track me once every 30 minutes? No, stop helping NSA and instead help me, thank you.
Meanwhile i was playing with my Windows Phone & Google 😀
And hey i need a physical Windows Phone logo, either it be a windows phone logo or a miniature lumia model itself. People always place mini droid bots when they do reviews, i want to have a windows stuff there!
You see, Windows Phone now has a beta app called Glance Background. It allows you to set custom images as the background in your glance screen on top of which Time and Battery status will be shown in GDR3 and also Notifications like say missed calls etc (upto 5 notifications) in Nokia Black update to Nokia Lumia’s which is due around January 2014.
Its nice and easy the way it currently is, but still can be improved a little and I’m gonna share it how it can be done, share this post if you second my thoughts so that Microsoft can hear us. I am thinking of putting this as an idea in the Windows Phone user voice forum, but let me see if this idea is even worth or I am thinking more of an retard.
- Timed portrait mode like timed glance screen night mode:
You see glance has an option to set a range of time period prior by the user, and the device will do from the usual white to red color. Its known as a night mode, it turns to red because it will be easier on your eyes during the dark night times. Why shouldn’t we apply the same to the portrait option?
Portrait screen locking orientation came in GDR3 which lets you avoid the screen rotating automatically no matter how you’re holding the phone. There is a reason why people use this and there is only one reason to use this as far as I know, during bed time! In bed or a couch or whatever you feel warm & cosy just lying and wasting your life in Twitter & Facebook, this screen orientation is mostly used than any other time. Why not an option to set predefine times to lock the orientation of the phone? That way I can set the time I’d be in the bed (usually around 10-11 PM ) to lock the portrait mode, this will save me the headache to swap the orientation lock controls every single time! The rest of the times in the morning till the evening I don’t use the landscape mode except for viewing photos & YouTube videos.
- Complete locking of the phone after several attempts of wrong password
Speaking of security in Windows Phone, its already the most secure OS in the world amongst mobile OS. But imagine that your phone will not open even if the correct password is entered after 5mins of several failed attempts? You will be completely sure in your mind that your data is safe, even if someone gets your phone, all they get is just the hardware and not the data.
If you get your lost phone finally, you alone can get access by opening it via windowsphone.com, remember the fact that you can install apps, ring, lock, and wipe your phone straight from the website?
- Breathing light for notifications like in the Symbian
This is already said, wouldn’t it be sweet if your capacitative windows key flashes now and then if you have a notification yet to be seen by you, while your screen is off in the peek mode of the glance screen?
- Full blown backup
The title says it all, a full backup via a desktop application or via cloud (is that is possible). Press backup under the settings, and in your new phone press restore, and voila! All the apps, setting, files, and even the order and size of the pinned live tiles are restored! Imagine what a boon it’d be for reviewers, they just have to restore and their all new windows phone given by the pr guys for them to review is good to go. And for an average consumer he doesn’t have to go through eons of time trying to get his phone from a Windows Phone to his phone. I mean from factory settings to his own mobile.
- Vibration intensity
God bless your dirty mind! No this is not that thing and not that vibration, hell no! I am talking about how good it would be if you can alter the vibration intensity levels of the phone? Like low intensity while pressing back buttons and high intensity during a incoming voice call and alarms.
- Alarm should ring even if the phone is switched off
All we have is nowadays is a unibody device and a sealed battery. Batteries will worn out of life span in around 3 years as you all know or depending on the charging cycles it has undergone. Every night my phone is switched on for like 6-7 hours just so that my alarm would work in the morning. If they change the way the OS works to keeping a single thread running all the time which will take care of the alarms. I mean even Symbian had it from 1889BC 6-7 hours of device on time can be saved a single night, and three years has 1,095 nights. 6,570 hours of device on time can be saved! Which means my battery would last even longer!
If they can put it into a ultra low power consumption mode where nothing, absolutely nothing is running by the Snapdragons except for the alarm thread.
- Yes, this is from Samsung
Multi window for 1520 and 2520. I know RT and WP will be a single thing. So this makes sense for lager than 5” displays, I guess.
- Landscape tiles
Why should tiles be portrait only?
- Use that damn search button for good
Universal search! Tap the physical hardware capacitive search button and you can type in anything from contacts, web search, apps, notes inside OneNote, music… Anything which is inside your phone! ANYTHING PERIOD.
- Integration between IE PC & IE WP
What if I can push any open tab to my phone, straight from my pc/Surface/laptop/netbook/ultrabook/pet dog? Okay, except pet dog.
This is all that I can think of rigt now. What do you think about it? Share your thoughts down in the comments. Share it, its free 😉 And I will update this post if I think of something new other than the said and done, above.
@davidvkimball imagine the aftermath of that feature! Reviewers’ walking through apps, people creating video proofs etc
— Karthikeyan (@ratkutti) September 8, 2013
@davidvkimball to show developers how an beta apps screws up, to demonstrate gestures and UI, to show off live tiles and app list….
— Karthikeyan (@ratkutti) September 8, 2013
Had a little conversation yesterday and it made me thinking, what if we had screen capturing in phones? Might seem a over kill first, but i believe if implemented soon we’ll see enough phone videos like cat videos 😉 😀